Help put #harlemtech on the map. Create a mobile friendly website that celebrates Harlem's growing tech community.
About the Challenge
Harlem is home to a growing tech community that's creating new jobs and teaching young people how to succeed in the digital economy. Silicon Harlem is leading community efforts to transform Harlem into a tech and innovation hub, and we need your help.
Andrew Rasiej and Civic Hall, Silicon Harlem, and ChallengePost present a challenge to create an open source, mobile friendly website to showcase and map key components of Harlem's tech ecosystem. Your submission could become the guide to all things tech in Harlem for NYC and visitors from around the globe. Thanks to a generous donation from Andrew Rasiej, the creators of the best websites will win $4,500.
An important goal of the challenge is to create a sustainable, community-owned website. So, to be eligible for the prize, your submission must be open source and should include a CMS for adding content. After the challenge, Silicon Harlem will host the winning site, manage content, and maintain the repository, facilitating a community-powered platform. You can support this ongoing effort by donating to the crowdfunding campaign on Harlem-based Deposit a Gift. Andrew Rasiej will match the first $5,000 donated by the community!
Who makes up the Silicon Harlem community?:
- tech startups and other tech-based companies
- freelance tech talent
- co-working spaces, incubators, and accelerators
- tech investors operating in Harlem
- tech events, meetups, and hackathons taking place in Harlem
Resources & Inspiration
Be creative. Develop features and content you think will provide the best guide to Harlem's tech scene. Here are a few regional sites that do a good job for their communities:
The challenge is open to participants around the globe. Individuals 13 years of age or older, teams, and organizations are eligible to enter. Organizations with more than 50 employees are eligible for recognition on the challenge site but not cash prizes.
- A working website that showcases and maps elements of the Harlem tech community
- Must be open source under one of the approved licenses listed on opensource.org
- Should be mobile friendly and include a clean aesthetic
- Should include a CMS for adding content
How to enter
- Click “Register for this Challenge” to sign up.
- Create an open source, mobile friendly website showcasing and mapping the Harlem tech community.
- Enter your submission by providing:
- a link to your website
- a link to an open source repo for your site on Github
- a tagline and a detailed description of your site
- at least one image / screenshot (for the site gallery)
- (optional) demo video highlighting your site's features and functionality
Founder & CEO, ChallengePost
Chairman, New York Tech Meetup
Co-Founder, Silicon Harlem
Creativity & Originality of Idea
The extent to which the website includes a creative and original approach to highlighting Harlem's tech community.
Execution and User Experience
How well the website was executed, the quality of the user experience, and the extent to which it includes a clean aesthetic.
Potential Impact & Sustainability
The potential of the the website to become the go to guide for Harlem tech and the extent to which it can be sustained as a community owned open source site with community generated content.